Thursday, December 20, 2007

And, I'm done!

I’m still having trouble with the fact that a great deal of the so called emerging technology out there is not really necessary. Or maybe I should say, the ways in which the technology is being used is not necessary. Sure, it’s fun, I like making lists of the books I’ve read and tagging things and seeing what web pages people find interesting and/or useful. I like being able to take a picture of myself and have it Warholized or Hockneyized of Simpsonized, but it’s not even remotely necessary and I end up feeling kind of ashamed that I’m wasting time playing with web sites instead of, oh I don’t know, solving global conflict or balancing my checkbook.

I only have so much time in a day; do I really want to spend it cataloging every book I’ve ever read? Maybe, but I’m a very lazy person. I like Bloglines because it saves time. Instead of going to each of my favorite sites individually, I check Bloglines a couple times a day and can feel pretty confident that I am up to date on all the important library related news. And celebrity gossip.

I know it’s important to be aware of technology, and all of the 23 ½ things have the potential to be used in some very meaningful ways. It’s just a matter of adapting the technology to fit my life, not the other way around. Can Librarything or the dreaded Rollyo be used to make my job and life easier? If not, out they go.

I’m still not entirely sure which of the 23 ½ I will retain in my bag of tricks, but at the very least, I have a lot to choose from.

No comments: